From Generation to Generation
The essence of Temple Emanu El springs from founding Rabbi Alan Singer Green's love of song, poetry and Hebrew tradition. These elements, combined with his exceptional warmth and lack of pretension, were woven into the fabric of our congregation where they continue to this day.
Temple Emanu El was formed in 1947, as young, post-war families grew and Jewish Clevelanders were leaving the city for new suburban neighborhoods. Temple Emanu El was the first Reform temple in Cleveland's suburbs.
The congregation’s growth has mirrored that of the Jewish community, and now has members from Cuyahoga, Summit, Geauga, and Portage counties. To meet the demands of our members, in 2008 we moved into our newly constructed building at the corner of Brainard and Emery Roads in Orange Village.
Temple Emanu El members have long provided leadership in education, social action and community service. We are a full-service, yet smaller congregation enabled through a strong partnership between our professional and lay staff. The high rate of volunteerism, Tzedaka, and Tikkun Olam (repairing the world) in our congregation and in the larger community is a key reason for our success.
A recent past president of our congregation remarked, "Our current challenge is trying to attract young people and working to understand the challenges of their families. Our legacy has been one of being a family congregation. It is important that we not forget that."
Recalling our past helps point the way to our future. Knowing where we came from helps us keep a clear view of where we are going.